Woodcrest State College is continuing to build a tradition of excellence in sport. Since 2010 we have structured sport into Academy Programs. The aim of the Academy and sports programs is to continue this high standard and maintain Woodcrest as a force in Queensland sport.
With our 2 indoor stadiums, the support from local clubs and associations, new links with Queensland Volleyball, Ipswich Basketball, Springfield Brumbies and AFL Queensland; and our quality coaching staff Woodcrest has gone from strength to strength.
Should you have any queries regarding the calendar please contact our HPE Department on (07) 3437 9553.
Woodcrest Academy Sports Program (WASP)
The overall purpose of the programs and subjects is to develop individuals at their own pace with the intent they reach their potential as quality players.
The Academy style programs include:
The school now plays in the high level Yagera District competition and as a result has more than doubled its participation in sport over the past 3 years.
We also enter all State affiliated sporting events such as: BBI Basketball, Vicki Wilson Cup Netball, AFLQ cup and Schools Cup Volleyball where players gain easy access to state and national selection.
We are in a very unique position to be able to develop players from Prep to Year 12.
For all Academy students we offer:
a high level of coaching in first class facilities;
a program that is embedded into the curriculum with Physical Education, Sport and Recreation Certificate II, Fitness Certificate III and Sports Development subjects
- training sessions in a challenging environment;representative teams in all top rated state competitions and events;
- individual attention so strengths are extended and weaknesses analysed and remedied;
- several accredited coaches in every sport for every team;
- the opportunity to play for Woodcrest based clubs; and
- regular invited coaches of high caliber.
In 2018 we are offering sports scholarships to eligible student athletes in AFL, Volleyball and Basketball; these scholarships will provide students with:
- Training kit (training shirt, bag, ball and drink bottle);
- Free elite level training and coaching; and
- Free access to strength and conditioning training sessions.