Dina Shaw is the Youth Support Officer (YSC) at Woodcrest State College and is available Monday and Tuesday.
The YSC assists with case management of students at risk by:
- Advocating for students in need
- Referring to external agencies where appropriate
- Supporting parents of students at risk
- Evaluating students concerns and implement an individual support case plan
- Managing, reviewing and supporting case plans
- Liaising with and keeping teachers and parents informed of outcomes
- Keeping students engaged or to support them to find them a viable pathway
- Support students who can no longer live at home with the process of becoming independent (including the Centrelink application)
The YSC also runs targeted intervention programs such as Rock and Water, Girls Group and RAGE group. They help students to develop self-confidence, self-realization, boundary awareness, non – violent dispute resolution, self-regulation.
The YSC can support with behaviour support intervention by:
- Consulting and identifying with teachers, HODs and principles students that may benefit from accessing youth worker for classroom disruptions, (example; minor outburst, anger issues arising from playground bullying)
- To offer a chance to debrief and work through issue calmly and logically
- To have a chance to calm down and return to class ready to learn without major disruption